What is radon?

  • Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from uranium in the ground. It enters schools, homes and other buildings through cracks and gaps in building foundations. This colourless, odourless gas can build up to harmful levels in enclosed spaces.

High levels of radon cause lung cancer.

  • A person exposed long-term to high radon levels has a 1 in 20 chance of developing lung cancer. If there is also exposure to cigarette smoke, this risk increases to 1 in 3. Long-term exposure to high levels of radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Canada. It is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.

School environments can have high levels of radon.

  • Outside, radon mixes with outdoor air and levels remain low. Indoors, however, radon concentrations can build up. You can’t see, taste or smell radonExposure to high concentrations of radon over long periods of time is a serious health risk.

Radon testing is easy and inexpensive.

  • To find out the level of radon in any indoor space you have to test for it. Testing for radon is easy and inexpensive. More information, including how to test, is available on our Radon page. Has your school been tested? Ask and find out. 

    All students in Canada have a right to be safe at school. Including from the risk of lung cancer.

Join us. Sign the petition.


Social media graphic (right click to download)

Speaking out, student message 1, social media graphic, english

Please include this text in your post:

#Students are speaking out for their right to be #safe. Be #protected from #lungcancer at #school.
Join us. Sign the #petition.
#RuleOutRadon #HealthySchoolsDay

Print, PDF, right click to download

Students are speaking out, poster. 8.5″ x 11″

Speaking out, student message 1, poster, english